About the Ideal 85 Slider
The Ideal 85 Slider was first introduced in the late 1940s and produced until the late 1950s – it’s one of the most common slider coolers ever produced. However, Ideal produced these machines for several brands throughout the years, including Pepsi, 7-Up, Royal Crown, and more. The ideal 85 Slider is not as popular as its sister machines, mostly due to its bigger size. Ideal also produced them in several sizes, although the basic design doesn’t change a lot in the different versions.
- The Ideal 85 Slider is a chest-type vending machine produced from the late 1940s until the late 1950s, which makes them very common. They’re also very similar in appearance and operation to the Ideal 55, only that the Ideal 85 is bigger.
- It had a very simple chest design on the outside, while on the inside it was mechanically complex. The Slider got its name because the bottles were held by the neck using perpendicular sliding rails. The machine has the capacity to vend 78 bottles while having extra storage space to pre-cool 72 more bottles.
- To use it you had to open it and slide the bottles toward the release system after inserting a coin which would then allow you to retrieve the bottle.
- On the outside, it had a chromed top lid with a chrome handle. On the front, it had the logo of the brand the machine was made for – as we said, it was made for several drink brands throughout the years. It also had a bottle opener and catcher on the front left side usually painted black.
- Some versions included the Ideal logo in the top right corner, some didn’t.
- They used a reliable Tecumseh cooling system.
Vends: 78 6 and 8-oz bottles, but it can also vend 12-oz bottles.
Pre-cools: 72 bottles through the side loading door.
Size: 37 ½” tall, 45 ½” wide, 27” deep.
Refrigeration Specs:Tecumseh Cooling System.
Serial Number Information:A manufacture date can be established by cross-referencing the date of the cooling system installed in the machine and the date stamped in the external cabinet.
This is the least popular chest-type vending machine from Ideal, mostly because of its size. Aside from that, it’s a valuable piece of memorabilia, but they’re not as uncommon as other machines.